So this was pretty awesome. I’ve had this Serious Eats recipe on our “to make” list for months, but have never gotten around to it for some reason. What a shame, because it was awesome, and will also make fantastic leftovers! In fact, I’m ready to make it again, just to freeze and have more for later. Anyway, I have never worked with ground chicken before, and was doubtful when I put the mix in the loaf pans, because soupy slop is kind. But it all turned out. I did ditch the jalepenos and cayenne (other than a dusting) because neither of us loves heat. I subbed generous red pepper flakes instead. I used 2lb of chicken for this and estimated liquids/spices to make up for it. We had this with chili-lime green beans…loved it! To top it off, a VERY generous portion is very little in the calorie department…can’t beat that!
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeño peppers, halved, seeded, finely chopped OR a shake of red pepper flakes if you like a bit less heat
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (I used a dusting…we don’t love heat, just spice!)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb ground chicken
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from one lime
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 6-8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs or tortilla chips (finely crushed)
- Tomatillo salsa, homemade or jarred
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with foil and spray with pan spray. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat to shimmering. Add onions and peppers and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 6 to 8 minutes. If using jalepenos, also add these during this time. If not, shake a bit of red pepper flakes onto the veggies.
Stir in garlic, cumin, cayenne, coriander, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and tomatoes. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Transfer to large bowl and cool briefly, about 10 minutes. Add chicken, eggs, cilantro, lime juice, broth, cheese, chips and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Toss gently until thoroughly combined. Gently pack into loaf pan.
Bake 40 minutes or until casserole registers 160°F on an instant read thermometer. Let rest in pan 10 minutes. Lift out of pan, slice and serve. Particularly great with tomatillo salsa!