I’m fairly certain that this is the first thing I learned how to cook. Since then, I’ve adapted it a bunch, used all kinds of different sausage and beans. I still make it fairly regularly and it’s still one of my favorites!
- 3 links Italian Sausage (or other variety, herb sausage is also great)
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 head/bunch kale or escarole, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
Rinse and drain beans.
In a large pot, brown the sausage over medium heat. Halfway through, add onions and garlic, and cook until onion is transparent. When sausage is fully cooked, drain excess fat.
Add beans, tomatoes, broth, kale and basil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with grated cheese.