Great fall side dish – this would also do well as a Thanksgiving side. Makes a ton, leftovers would be great tossed with some whole wheat pasta.
- 3 medium leeks
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced into disks
- 2 large parsnips or turnips, peeled and diced
- 10 large garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 fresh thyme or rosemary sprigs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Remove bulbs from leeks, reserving green parts for another use. Cut bulbs into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Remove and discard fennel fronds and outside layer of fennel bulb. Cut fennel into slices. Toss together sliced leek bulbs, fennel, carrots, sweet potato, and all other ingredients. Place in a 13- x 9-inch roasting pan. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender, stirring twice.