I was surfing around for interesting salad ideas for our Memorial Day cookout, and this one caught my eye on Chowhound. It seemed like a pretty nifty one, and I really liked it. Very refreshing and easy. Plus I love anything that includes cucumber and mint, so there you go. I would definitely repeat this with any number of grilled main dishes for a nice summer side salad.
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (from about 1 medium lemon)
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds honeydew melon (about 1/2 medium melon), large dice
- 12 ounces pickling cucumbers, such as Kirby (about 3 medium), medium dice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
Place the lemon zest and juice, measured pepper, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. While whisking continuously, add the oil in a slow, steady stream until it’s fully incorporated.
Add the melon, cucumber, and mint and toss to combine. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and chill until the flavors meld, at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the salad to a serving platter, leaving any liquid in the bowl behind. Top with the feta and season with more pepper.