So when you make a ton of pesto, you’re eating it for a while. Not that I’m complaining. We decided not to freeze this batch of pesto, so it’s been uhm…around a lot the past few days. This was a soup that we really liked – great way to use up some nice buffalo sausage we’d gotten a few weeks ago at the farmer’s market. Very filling soup, and great for lunches. Plus it’s the color of Ecto Cooler from 5th grade, so that’s pretty cool.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 uncooked sweet or hot Italian sausages
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 medium), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 2 medium zucchini (about 12 ounces), medium dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 4 cups (1 quart) low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup basil pesto, plus more as needed
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until it’s browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
Add the chicken and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and chicken to a medium bowl and set aside.
Add the zucchini, onion, remaining teaspoon of salt, red pepper flakes, and measured pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, scraping up any browned bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the pot, until the onion has softened, about 7 minutes.
Return the sausage, chicken, and any accumulated juices to the pot. Add the broth and water, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the beans and measured pesto. Cook until the beans are just heated through, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat, taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.