This is one of my favorite side dishes, and I especially like it with anything Mediterranean. I made this to go with lemon-oregano grilled lamb chops for dinner, and probably could have hoovered the entire thing myself. This is good warm or cold, so leftovers are very useful. This could also be a main dish for a vegetarian night if you paired with a salad, etc.
• 2 cups uncooked orzo
• 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
• plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
• 1/4 red onion, diced
• Pitted kalamata olives to taste (I like tons)
• About 1/4 of a cup of parsley
• 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 3 or 4 ounces reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
• artichoke hearts – optional
• oregano to taste
Cook orzo in a large pot of salted water; when finished, add all ingredients save feta and stir to combine. Once the pasta has cooled slightly, stir in feta. Serve warm or cold.