We decided to go all out for Christmas day, and made this breakfast strata. It’s one I’ve made before for brunches, etc. and it was even better this time with some minor changes (changes included below – this originally came from Cooking Light – just a bit less milk and a bit more cheese). A great holiday morning lunch or brunch item, and the ingredients can be combined the night before and baked in the morning for some make-ahead convenience.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced unpeeled Yukon gold potato (1 large)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (or roasted red pepper)
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 pound ciabatta, cut into 1-inch cubes, toasted
- Cooking spray
- 6 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and chopped
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, potato, and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Combine onion mixture and bread.
Place half of bread mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of Brie. Top with remaining bread mixture and remaining Brie.
Place egg substitute and eggs in a medium bowl. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, herbes de Provence, and pepper. Add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture. Let stand 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.