This is one of the first things I ever learned to make, and for some reason, I haven’t done it in years. So easy in the crock pot, and the leftovers are great. This is a recipe I got from Cooking Light, modified it a little bit, and served over whole wheat spaghetti. Definite make again – below is with my changes.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- Two 6-ounce cans tomato paste
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Layer onion over bottom of a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add chicken pieces to cooker. Combine next 12 ingredients and red pepper, if using; pour over chicken in cooker. Cover and cook on Low 7 to 9 hours or on High 3 to 4 hours.
Serve over pasta or rice.