I love shawarma, but doing the whole low carb thing isn’t really conducive to piling everything in delicious pitas smothered in garlic sauce. But it works well over a salad! I based this on a couple of different recipes I found (Cooking Light was where I got the base marinade), marinated it overnight, and had it with a lemon-sumac dressing. I’m not usually very good about salads for dinner, but this was pretty tasty, and fairly low-maintenance as well. We just used a bag of salad and tossed some tomatoes, cucumbers, and chickpeas in it as well.
For the chicken:
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons plain low-fat Greek-style yogurt, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 4-5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
Mix all ingredients together and add to a ziplock bag with chicken, coating evenly. Marinate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
For the salad dressing:
- juice of 2 fresh lemons
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried mint
- 1 1/2 tbsp sumac
Slowly pour olive oil into lemon juice, whisking to combine until incorporated. Add the rest of the ingredients, whisk and set aside until ready to use.