This was a nice base salad with which you could do a lot…we liked it a lot. I’ve had my eye on this for a while since I love black eyed peas, and am always looking for new ways to use them. I thought this could use lots more flavor and added more lemon, pepper and salt, Some herbs tossed in would be great too. This would be nice for a BBQ or picnic side. It was nice with grilled pork chops.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups peeled and diced cucumbers
- 1 14-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 2/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
Whisk oil, lemon juice, oregano and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add cucumber, black-eyed peas, bell pepper, feta, onion and olives; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.