This was another Cooking Light recipe that we picked for weeknight speediness, and thought it was a little so-so. To be fair, I have never been great at cooking chicken breasts on a stovetop. But it had potential, and I’m posting it because with leftovers the next day, I added a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese and it was suddenly much better! I would probably still like this better if the chicken were grilled, so worth trying again next summer. 🙂
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1-2 links chorizo
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced carrot
- 1/2 a diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 a diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 a diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done.
While chicken cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo; cook 1 minute, stirring to crumble. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, onion, and carrot; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell peppers; cook 1 minute or until crisp-tender. Add stock; cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Spoon chorizo mixture over chicken; top with cilantro.