Easy, classic tomato sauce that’s great over pasta, chicken or eggplant Parmesan, or just about anything else you can dream up.
- 1⁄2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 small Onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, finely chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 cans Crushed Tomato, 32 ounce
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Add red wine and simmer an additional 30 mintes.
Remove from heat, and discard the bay leaf. Season the sauce with the balsamic vinegar and more salt and pepper, to taste.
Pingback: Traditional Meatballs | Om nom nom!