One of my favorite appetizers/small plates, and super easy. Pretty much a no-fail. I also sometimes like to have it as a main dish in summer, when tomatoes are so fresh. This can go with or without cheese; this time I went without.
- 2-3 fresh Roma or vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 5-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced in half
- About half a baguette, sliced into thin toasts
- Optional – shaved parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to broil.
Dice tomatoes and place them in a bowl with chopped basil. Add olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Adjust oil and seasonings as necessary.
Place bread toasts onto a baking pan. Broil for about 60 seconds – check often. Remove from oven and rub the sliced end of a garlic half over a toast once or twice to impart garlic flavor. Top with tomato mixture and serve.